Just in case you’re wondering, I am as obsessed with this new room in person as I am here on the blog. It really is amazing, I feel like we’ve gained a whole second living room in our house! So, continuing my post from yesterday…
5. Install new hardware. These were the old knobs on the built in closet:
They were awful! $16 in new hardware later…we had a wall of much more stylish cabinetry:
6. Change what you hate! My hubby and I both HATED the vertical blinds down in the previous room. It would have cost NOTHING to take those down, but we didn’t do it until now. If you have something like this in your house, change it! There’s no time like the present!
7. Shop those garage sales. Be sure to take advantage of Saturday morning garage sales. I found the really cool old trunk (which was a foot locker in WWII!) for $35 at a garage sale. I loved that it had a bit of military history itself, it seemed to really work for the room. It had been spray painted army green, so I just spray painted it white to coordinate with the rest of the room!
8. Edit. Edit. Edit. If you look at the before pictures, there is a lot of junk laying around the room. I asked my hubby to go through all the stuff in the room with me, and tell me what was important and what wasn’t. There were these little fish sculptures in the room that I thought were really important to him. I was trying to figure out how I was going to fit them into the decor, but when I asked, he told me they weren’t important to him at all! So what things are important to YOU in your room?
9. Don’t be afraid. I’ll admit that decorating a whole room all at once…the sanding, the painting, the potential to fail miserably…was a bit intimidating. But…I just kept telling myself, “If this turns out horribly…it’s not really going to be much worse than it was before!” And that helped inspire me! And when you have to force yourself to go to bed with a room half primed, five pieces of furniture in some stage of transition sitting in the garage, and covered in paint yoruself, just remember…these are all signs of CHANGE!
10. And last but not least, it’s ALL worth it in the end! My hubby LOVES his new room. He was down there almost all weekend, and all evening tonight. It’s almost like we don’t even remember what the old Man Cave looked like!
So on that note…good luck with your next project!!!