Well folks, believe it or not, this is my 100th post. I really can’t believe it! And in honor of my 100th post I’m kicking of a week in which I’ll post 100, yes 100 decorating ideas! Here’s ten to get us started!
1. Check your local craft store before you drop money at a home store like Pier One, Pottery Barn, or Restoration Hardware. I have found items that are EXACTLY the same for about 20% less. I’m not even talking about things I make instead of buy, I mean items that are EXACTLY the same (Example: Apothecary Jars).
2. Use hooks or pegs instead of towel bars in your bathrooms. See below:
3. Upgrade your boring white light switch and electric plates with something fancier like this:
4. Take the toilet seat cover off your toilet. That shag rug thing that’s on your toilet seat…Take it off. There is nothing modern or traditional or French countryside or whatever your style is about a toilet seat cover.
5. While you’re at it, that rug that wraps around your toilet seat base…Get rid of that, too. Think of the nicest hotel you ever stayed at…got it? Did they have a rug that wrapped around the toilet base? I didn’t think so. If you really need something to keep your feetsies warm, just buy a plain ol’ rectangular rug. It will work just fine!
6. Clean out the linen closet in the bathroom your guests use when they come to town. Okay, I know this isn’t exactly out in the open decorating, but your guests will open that closet. Make it look nice. Get rid of random mis-matched towels, old bottles of sunscreen, whatever it is you store in there. Fold the towels nicely. Make sure bottles are nicely organized, and leave some toiletries out for your guests to use.
7. Paint a piece of furniture. Whether it’s something you already own or something you buy at a thrift store, paint that sucker a crazy color. Well at least something crazy for you. If you’re normally a beige person (like my mom) paint it eggplant or sage. If you’re normally a red person (like me) paint it all white or all black. Make a statement! I love this piece that Living with Lindsay blogged about this week:
8. Replace the curtains in your living room. Chances are they could use replacing. If they don’t change them out to better coordinate with the time of year (linen for summer, heavy cotton for winter) and then change them back in six months!
9. Since you’re already taking down the curtains, why not change out the curtain rod, too?
10. Lastly for tonight, Take all the throw pillows off your couch, bed, etc. Don’t get me wrong, I love throw pillows…but if you’re looking to give your room of a different vibe for a bit try living without those pillows. The look is much more modern!
And with that, I’m off to an 80s party. Pics to come. I’ll see you back here tomorrow for more of my 100 decorating ideas!